Tuesday, May 13, 2014

My Testimony and Bible Time


     I feel the need to tell you guys about the best thing that ever happened to me. That's right, it's better than when I started Trim Healthy Mama. It's better than when I first discovered how to ride a bike. It's better than the time I bought my own hamster. It's better than when I got to go to Disney World.
     It was the time I accepted Jesus into my heart to be my Lord and Savior; when I accepted his precious gift of salvation and placed all my trust in him. (John 3:16-17, Luke 13:3)
     I have always grown up in church. When I was little I knew you had to be saved to go to heaven. I knew you couldn't go to heaven by good works or because a lot of your family members were saved. (Ephesians 2:8-9, Titus 3:5) I just didn't understand it yet and the Holy Spirit hadn't drawn me. I remember being around 6 years old asking my big sis (Savannah), "When am I gonna get saved?" She would reply something like, "You will. Just wait."
     That day came. Of course I wasn't expecting it, at the time. Because I had heard that same story so many times. The story about Jesus dying on the cross for my sins. Ms. Lisa, our children's church teacher (at that time) would tell that story at the end of every children's lesson she taught. She would put piece after piece of felt on the board, placing the picture in our mind.
     It was October 27, 2007 on a Saturday night. We were at church having Children's Day. On Children's Day we would have games for all the kids and a cookout for the whole family. Afterward, Ms. Lisa or one of the Sunday School teachers would teach a lesson.
     That night, as a 7 year old girl I felt it for the first time. I felt the Holy Spirit yanking (not tugging!) on my heart, saying, "GO!" Thankfully I obeyed. The Holy Spirit sure is good at his job. I couldn't sit there any longer. I looked at my mom, who was sitting beside me, and asked, "Can I go to the altar?" "Yeah!" she said.
     I walked quickly down the aisle and to the left altar (I was sitting on the left side). I knelt down and asked Jesus to save me forever, on that altar. I remember I cried and cried. Ms Lisa came and read scripture to me, and showed me what the Bible said about salvation. I can't remember the exact verse, but I think it was in Romans. She asked me, "Did He save ya?" I remember nodding my head with joy.
     I believe Jesus took me in the moment I obeyed that still small voice and ran to him. No, people don't get saved by going to the altar to pray. Some people go, just to go. Whether it be for a friend or because they want people to look at them. People get saved when they realize they are a sinner, the Holy Spirit starts drawing them, and they OBEY the voice of the Lord. They ACCEPT Him. They no longer wait. They've made the decision in their heart already when they say to God "OK, I'll go to you. Save me."
     You know if you've been saved. I have never been the same since. Don't get me wrong, I still sin every day, and I have awful problems with pride (It hurts to admit it). But, when I do fail God or sin against him, I feel terrible afterwards. The Holy Spirit tugs and tugs, telling me, "You shouldn't have done that. Make it right."
     Please pray for me. That I would get rid of my pride. That I wouldn't think I am at the same level as my elders. I know God's going to help me. I just have to continue to read His Word every day, pray to Him, and grow in grace. As Paul said, "I die daily." (1 Cor. 15:31).
     So, have you been saved? Have you been born again? Do you know that you will go to heaven when you die? The Bible (God's holy word) says Jesus is the only way. You won't get to heaven any other way, but through Him (John 14:6). You may ask me, "How do you get saved?" Romans 10:9 says, "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." And Luke 13:3 and 5 says, "...but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish." So, all you have to do is repent, believe and confess. Pretty simple, isn't it? You see, Jesus already did the complicated part when he died on the cross.
     After I got saved I followed the Lord in believers baptism. I love to hear my dad read the story about Philip and the eunuch before baptizing someone. My dad said one time, the moment the eunuch said I believe that Jesus is the son of God, he was saved. Then the eunuch showed the world how he had changed by being baptized. Some people don't have the chance to be baptized after they get saved because of disabilities or death right after, so I thank God that he gave me the opportunity to show the world what Jesus had done for me.



     I know you are probably thinking, "After a post that long, it must have been the best thing that ever happened to her!" Well, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. If you get saved it will be the best thing that ever happened to you. :)



     Just last week I finished reading the whole Bible. Yeah! Now I get to start all over! :)
     There's always something else God will show you through a verse or a story. Fellow believers, don't stop reading His word!



     Here is a picture of my VERY worn out Bible reading plan. I never go by the day schedule. I just read what's on the paper.


Here is a picture of the Bible I use and the new plan I'm working on. I love it!



Every once in a while, I'll read from a devotion/study book. I like what I've read from this one.

I always drink a cup of coffee while reading my Bible. :)

When do I read my Bible? I have long days, so I usually wake up at 5 am, read my Bible, and go on with the rest of my day.


Linked up to:

3 comments:

  1. What a blessing to read your testimony! I never heard the Gospel until I was 22 years old! My husband and I got saved on the same day! The church we had been visiting had a lunch fellowship one Sunday and as the rest of the ladies were getting the food ready I went to find the pastor. The Holy Spirit was not letting go of me! I found the door to his office shut so I waited in the hall. A little while later, the door opened. I thought, okay...here we go...let's do this! As suddenly as the door opened, my husband walked out. He had beat me to the pastor after service and had just accepted Christ as his Savior! He went back in with me and the pastor and I too joined the family of God that day. It is such a blessing for you to have gotten saved at an early age. Keep proclaiming His Word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful testimony! :) Thank God he saved you when he did!
    I will keep telling others about him. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophia, I've watched you grow from the tiny little blonde headed baby, into a sweet young lady. It's been a joy to watch you grow as a person, AND as one of God's Children. Love you.

    ReplyDelete