Wednesday, May 7, 2014

"Blueberries 'N' Cream" Oatmeal (and Learn How To Soak Oats!) {E}


     This is a new favorite breakfast of Savannah and I. It is very hearty, filling, and it taste great too!
     I would say it is very super-foodish (if you use steel cut oats) because I soak the oats properly to remove all the phytates and lower the carb count (of course carbs are welcome in this meal, since its E) ;) and oats are very good for you. They are full of fiber and they also help with blood pressure control. Here is the article I found that talks about the benefits of oats: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefits-steel-cut-oats-2053.html
     You may ask, how do you properly soak oats to remove all the phytates? And what are phytates? Phytates or phytic acid is the storage form of phosphorus in a lot of different plant tissues. The bad thing about this is phytates bind with certain important minerals, causing those minerals to slowly and not fully be absorbed.
     To soak oats properly, so that all the phytates are removed, you need some phytase added to the soak, an acid medium (I use apple cider vinegar), and water. You need phytase because it is the enzyme that breaks down phytates and oats are very low in phytase.
     Of course blueberries have healthy benefits too! They are full of antioxidants, they help preserve vision,  they help with brain health, and they are also high in fiber. Another plus about them is, they are super yummy!! :)
     You could use any fruit in this recipe. I think it would be delicious to try strawberries, raspberries, peaches, apples, or maybe even mango!
     I would like to thank user and administrator cashen10 on the Trim Healthy Mama Forum for posting my recipe on the forum and sharing it with others. I'm so glad you tried it, and loved it! :) Here is the comment cashen10 made on the forum when I shared this recipe:

Sophia, I wanted to let you know I made the "Blueberries 'N Cream" oatmeal a few times now & my family loves it. Even my super picky, doesn't eat oatmeal hubby really liked it. The only change I made was that I used steel cut oats. I'm going to copy the recipe and put it under the E recipes so others can see it too :)

Read more: http://trimhealthymama.freeforums.net/thread/2730/soaking-oats#ixzz314KH3PgE

   
     Oatmeal, I think, specifically "Blueberries 'N' Cream" Oatmeal, is one of my new favorite breakfasts. I think if you try this you will put it on your favorites list too. What breakfast foods do you already have on your favorites list?


These are steel cut oats. ;) My new fave way to enjoy these oats is with stevia sweetened nonfat greek yogurt (extra creamy goodness!) and lemon zest (I always save the lemon zest when I make singing canary).



Old fashioned oats. This is a batch I made before I discovered it was best to add more liquid while cooking, to make it a thinner consistency.


"Blueberries 'N' Cream" Oatmeal {E}
Ingredients:

  • 2 1/2 Cups old fashioned oats OR steel cut oats
  • 2 1/2 Cups Water 
  • 4-5 Teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar 
  • 2 1/2 Tablespoons spelt, rye, OR whole wheat flour
  • (about, I eye-balled it!) 1/2-1 Cup unsweetened almond milk OR water
  • 1 1/4 Cups (be generous, if you like!) fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 1 1/4 Scoops Swanson vanilla protein powder
  • 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
  • Generous, 1/4 teaspoon stevia extract powder (go THM brand!)
  • 1 1/2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions:

     Combine oats, water, apple cider vinegar, and spelt or rye flour in a medium sized bowl (with lid). Seal lid on top and let your oats soak at room temp (I just set mine on the counter) for at least 24 hrs. This process is to remove the phytates from the oats and decrease the carb count a little.
     After your oats are done soaking and you're ready to make them, dump them into a medium sized pot and add almond milk/water (use only about a 1/4-1/2 cup if using old fashioned oats, use about a full cup if using steel cut). If you are using old fashioned oats, cook for about 5-7 minutes on medium heat. If you are using steel cut oats, cook for about 15 minutes (give or take). Stir oats, while cooking.
     After your oats are done cooking add the blueberries, protein powder, sea salt, stevia powder, and vanilla extract. Stir and combine well. Serve in pretty bowels with optional stevia sweetened greek yogurt and lemon zest (or you could add an extra splash of almond milk).

Enjoy! :)


 

Picture Time!!!



Getting the oats measured out to soak.




After the oats soaked for 24 hrs.


I dumped them into the pot, but didn't add the almond milk, because this was before I realized it was best to add extra liquid to make it thinner.

After they were cooked. As you can see they are a little thick. That is why I say it is best to add some almond milk or water.


Adding in the yummifier ingredients... ;)


After combining, you get a lovely purple color.




My lovely steel cut oats after stirring the Greek yogurt over the top. I added extra blueberries and heated them up some to get the darker color.


As you can see they are quite delicious. :)


This post is linked up to:

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing at Savoring Saturdays, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe, Sophia! Good job providing the info on why you should soak oats! I'm going to feature it at this weekend's edition of Savoring Saturdays. I hope you'll stop by and link up again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for featuring my recipe! Glad you liked it. I did link up again. :)

      Delete