Monday, April 28, 2014

Crunchy Cheese Chips {S}


     These are so good!! And my little brothers and sisters love them! They are easy and simple to make too! Cheese (and optional seasonings). Yep. That's it! Nothing but cheese. The best part? My picky big sister says they remind her of Doritos when I make them with Colby cheese and Cajun seasoning! :)
     I must say, they are quite addictive. Sort of like peanuts. I mean, they are addictive like peanuts. They sure don't taste like them though.
     A convenient thing about them is you can use almost any type of cheese you have on hand (except mozzarella). Also, they only take about 45 minutes to prepare and cook. The only "specialty" item you need to make them is parchment paper. Yes, it has to be parchment paper. Wax paper won't work, I've already tried it. ;)
     This recipe can also be used to make tostadas. Just form the cheese into a large circle shape and follow the other directions just the same. It is actually really delicious! My family and I had Mexican tostadas one night for supper and we all loved it!
     They do have a Crunchy Cheese Crackers recipe in the THM book, but I don't really care for the way the microwaved ones turn out. So, I came up with my own oven baking times and shredded my cheese (a lot easier that way and you get more chips out of one batch).
     Do take note that depending on the way your oven heats up, how thick you spread your cheese, and what type of cheese you use, you may have to adjust your baking times. ;)



   



     Crunchy Cheese Chips {S}
Ingredients:
  • 3 Cups Shredded Cheese (We like sharp cheddar and Colby best)
  • Optional seasonings of your choice (Cajun or paprika is good!)
Directions:

     Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. 
     Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 
     Sprinkle cheese, evenly, in a thin layer on parchment paper. Sprinkle optional seasonings on top. 
     Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. 
     Remove from oven and gently pour as much oil as you can off (into the sink or a cup). Take paper towels and press onto cheese to soak up excess oil. The cheese shouldn't stick because of how long it has been in the oven. 
     Gently flip (like a pizza crust) the flexible/gooey cheese over so it can crisp on the other side. 
     Bake for 7-10 minutes more, keeping an eye on it the last few minutes so that it doesn't get too brown. We don't want it to taste like burnt cheese! 
     Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. 
     Break into chip sized pieces. 

Enjoy! :)


   
   
     More Pictures...


A cup full of delicious cheese.


Plopped it onto the parchment.


Sprinkle and spread it evenly across the parchment.



I used taco seasoning this time.



See all the oil around the edges? This was before I poured it down the sink.



After I poured the oil out I barely touched it with a paper towel to see if it was going to stick. If yours sticks that means it needs to go back in the oven for a few minutes.



Press the paper towel down to soak up the oil.



When I was taking up the paper towel there was one spot that stuck. That's OK. ;)



See where it stuck? It'll melt back together in the oven.



Now its time to flip it.







 After I flipped it. ;) See the edges already crisped a little from the oven?


15 more minutes in the oven, and this is what I got. Be sure to do yours in the oven for less time. As you can see, mine got too done. There were a few burnt spots, but the rest was great!


You should be able to pick it up, like a giant chip.



I was a little bit anxious, and didn't let it cool all the way. It was a little chewy in the middle because of it. After it cooled in the bowl, they were more crunchy like.




My little brothers love Cheese Chips. :) They were the first ones to dig into the bowl!


This post is linked up to:

2 comments:

  1. This looks really good. I am going to try it! I am a newbie to the program. Thanks so much for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I am so glad you joined us. Would love to have you back this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/05/try-new-recipe-tuesday-may-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!
    If you need any tips/recipes I'll be glad to help! :)

    ReplyDelete